Montgomery County Administration:

501 North Thompson, Suite 401

Conroe, Texas  77301






Home » Depts A-C » Departments C » County Clerk » Marriage Licenses


County Clerk

 Mark Turnbull

Post Office Box 959, Conroe, Texas 77305

210 West Davis, Conroe, Texas 77301

Phone: 936-539-7885    Fax: 936-760-6990

Marriage Licenses



Marriage records in Montgomery County exist from 1838 to present.

Twogether in Texas marriage workshop information can be found  at

Attorney General Premarital Education Handbook can be found at AIDS/HIV information can be found at

Age Requirements

18 or older - No parental consent required.

16-17 - Consent of parent, managing conservator or legal guardian (proof required). 

Identification Requirements

Examples: Drivers' License, Military ID, Passport, Certified Birth Certificate, State ID Card

Must provide social security number, if any

18 or older - A valid identification must be furnished by both parties.

16 to 17 - A certified copy of applicants birth certificate. The parent, conservator or guardian must also present identification. 

Blood Test

No blood test is required in Texas

Prohibited Marriages

Applicants must have been divorced for 30 days (unless waived).

Persons cannot be related by whole or half blood or by adoption. This means you cannot marry your aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, brother, sister, mother or father whether half or full relative.

Application Requirements

Both parties must be present to apply for a marriage license.

Exceptions to this are:

A member of the armed forces of the United States stationed in another  country in support of combat or another military operation


License must be obtained 72 hours prior to the wedding. This can only be waived by a District or County Court at Law Judge or County Judge or for an applicant who is on active military duty.

License is valid up to 90 days after issuance.

The $66 fee must be paid in cash.

Licenses are valid in any county in Texas


Marriages in Texas may be performed by:

A minister of any recognized church.

A Justice of the Peace.

A Municipal Judge.

A County Judge, District Judge or any retired Judge.

Informal Marriage License

A common law marriage must meet the same requirements above except each party must be 18 years of age and sign an affidavit stating the date that they agreed to be married. This affidavit is filed with the marriage records. The $31 fee must be paid in cash.


A copy of a marriage record can be obtained in person or by mail. A mail in request should contain the name of the parties and the date of marriage. $1.00 for a plain copy. $6.00 for a certified copy. 




Copyright © Montgomery County, Texas. All Rights Reserved.